Happy New Year Everyone !!! 2k23
2 min read
Let's start 2023 off right! My focus this year for data science personal and professional development includes (To achieve the goals I listed earlier in the week):
1. Write Code Each Morning- It does not take much time to write some code and refine your skillset. However, since I need to be more mindful and need repetition for my learning style, it is a great way to get the brain working in the morning. Thirty minutes is not much time out of the day.
2. Purchase Book Reading Medium- Earlier in the week, I committed to reading 50 books in 2023. Then, I quickly realized that going to the store and adding 50 books to my collection would not be the wisest decision. So instead, I bought a Kindle Paperwhite and subscribed to Kindle Unlimited. For less than $275, I will have access to thousands of books relating to Data Science, Machine Learning, Risk Management, and other exciting topics.
3. Eat Healthier - What does this have to do with data science? If you are fueling your body with a poor diet, eventually, that will impact your mental cognition (Which is critical for quantitative and logic-intensive tasks). I rode the Rip-It and Monster energy drink hard in my 20s, especially when deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan. I thought it would never catch up to me. Well, it caught up in style, and it is time to become more conscious of what I eat.
4. Take Notes- I admit I could improve about taking notes during meetings or reviewing significant amounts of written/oral material. So, I will take my pen and notebook to write important topics. I had to write 200 notecards to pass the Project Management Professional (PMP) exam, so I will get back into the note-taking habit to pass the two AWS exams I have set as goals. Additionally, I will need extensive notes for the Financial Risk Manager (FRM) exam.
5. Mindfulness- I did not realize how many dumb mistakes and simple concepts I had forgotten until I reviewed some project code earlier this week. It is not something to wear as a badge of honour but to address through being fully present when putting fingers to keys on projects. Being mindful also ties into knowledge retention and finding the right environment to conduct deep work.
I hope everyone has a wonderful and productive 2023!
Did you find this article valuable?
Support ZordCoder by becoming a sponsor. Any amount is appreciated!